Summary of Position
The Scientist will assist with projects that help develop vaccines and vaccine products for commercial purposes. The essential duties include developing assays using immunological, bioassay, and molecular biological techniques under minimal supervision. The Scientist will also help to maintain compliance with standard operating procedures and regulatory requirements.
- Develop relevant scientific tests/assays under minimal guidance including ELISAs, PCR, and cell-based assays..
- Work with viruses (BSL-2 category) and perform cell culture techniques for infection and propagation.
- Perform tissue culture (BSL-2) and routine lab techniques such as agarose gel electrophoresis, SDS-PAGE, bacterial transformations.
- Document scientific data and maintain laboratory notebooks in compliance with SOP standards and guidelines.
- Assist in lab operations, maintaining inventory of laboratory reagents/equipment as requested by supervisor.
- Help to ensure that all work is conducted in compliance with Standard Operating Procedures and regulatory requirements as appropriate.
- Generate SOPs, research protocols and study reports for assays developed as needed.
- Train and/or mentor junior members of the laboratory as needed.
Job Requirements (Essential knowledge, skills and attributes)
- A B.S. or B.A. degree in a scientific field required; an M.S. degree in a biomedical related field preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in a biomedical research lab, 3 years if M.S Degree candidate.
- Assay development experience, working knowledge of assay qualification requirements per FDA/ICH guidelines.
- Experience working with viruses (BSL-2 category or higher) and knowledge of requisite safety and handling procedures for biological material and biohazard disposal.
- Ability to independently analyze and interpret data, ability to make keen observations regarding data and provide scientific approaches.
- Ability to maintain detailed and accurate records of work performed.
- Strong communication skills; both verbal and written, and computer (e.g., MS Excel, MS Word, MS Powerpoint).
- Knowledge of general scientific techniques, ability to learn from others, and work in a team-oriented environment.
- Working knowledge of flow cytometry preferred.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to work well in a fast-paced environment.
Altimmune is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity
Email your cover letter and resume or CV to:
Please reference Position Req#16-105
Posted on December 19, 2016